Acing your optional: Part 1

 
“Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.”
― Robert F. Kennedy

    While commencing UPSC preparations, one of the first question which comes up is the choice of the optional subject. Here is the story of how I picked my optional and the experience I wish to share with you. 

    This would be a 3 part series on Optional Preparation, Part 1 dealing with the general elements regarding the subject and more personal anecdotes. Part 2 and 3 would specifically deal with the two papers.

My story:
   I began preparing for UPSC on 25th July 2019, 2 months after finishing my B.Tech in Electronics and Communication Engineering. Coming from a family with no background of Civil Services, I lacked the fundamental awareness towards the preparation in my initial days. For the first month, I wasn't even aware of the different subjects available as optionals in UPSC! 
    In the beginning of September 2019, I began looking for optionals suiting my preferences. Though I came from a technical background, like a lot of people, I was not willing to take a technical subject. I filtered subjects such as Philosophy, Psychology, English Literature, Sociology and Anthropology for my selection. I read a lot of topper blogs and took opinions from my teachers to come to some conclusion. Finally, I picked Anthropology.
        
My reasons:
  1. Limited Syllabus- I had a short timeline to finish my optional classes by Dec 2019. Shorter syllabus meant multiple revisions.
  2. Availability of Study material- Anthropology had a good set of coaching guidance, books and study materials available.
  3. Personal interest in Genetics- I was drawn to Anthropology immediately as I realized it had Genetics as a part of the syllabus. During school days, I loved studying theories of evolution, Mendelian genetics and chromosomal diseases.
  4. Parallels with GS syllabus: The subject had overlaps with society and tribal administration portions of GS.
  5. Technical vs Humanities: I come from a background of writing and have always preferred subjects with liberty to express creative thought. Thus, technical subjects like Electrical Engineering didn't appeal to me.
    To even bolster my decision, I found a VisionIAS lecture of Sosin Ma'am, and immediately liked the way she interacted in her classes. I took 81 recorded lectures from Sosin Anthropology and began my classes on 2nd Oct 2019. 

My timeline:
     I finished my lectures by 31st Dec 2019. Subsequently, I continued to work with the subject till Feb 2020, on content enhancement and attaining more information through the internet. Ideally I used to spend about 2-3 hours everyday apart from my GS preparation on my optional. 
    Initially I was preparing according to the standard timeline of UPSC. But the COVID pandemic gave me a 4 months extension. Once Prelims got delayed, I took it as an opportunity to invest one more month on content enhancement of Social Anthropology part and deeper understanding on Paper 2. This was done through reading documents on Ministry of Tribal Affairs' website and also through extensive YouTubing on tribes. 
    Post prelims, I solely focused on Answer writing aspect of the paper. I had a study group of 3 friends, who were all Anthro students. We began by writing 2 previous year questions everyday and reviewing each other's answers. I also took up a test series from L2A classes to get regular feedback on my answers. In the last 15 days, I only revised facts, case studies and practiced diagrams to stay in the vibe of the subject.
    I scored 288 in Anthropology, in my first attempt. This was only due to strategic targeting of the subject and regular feedbacking from other aspirants and teachers. 

What must be kept in mind :
  1. Not giving up on the subject:  This might sound philosophical, but I frequently see aspirants switching between optionals even in the last leg of their preparations. For me, once I decided I was going with the subject, I never questioned my decision. There were days I would be deeply disheartened with my performance or scores. Somedays, the topics just felt beyond my capabilities. But I always took it One Day At A Time.
  2. Going for coaching classes: It should be your personal call to decide over joining coaching classes. If you have a shorter deadline or you face any trouble with the subject, seek guidance accordingly.
  3. Solving papers and writing answers: There is an inertia to answer writing in every aspirant. But this cycle needs to be broken, preferably before prelims so that you can prepare well for the D-day.
  4. Going an extra mile: While the subject has been broken down by selected candidates into palatable proportions, it is must to bring your own uniqueness on plate. Think as an examiner. Your paper needs to appeal to him so that you fetch those brownie points. Read some extra. Use internet for creativity. 
  5. Preparing for the unexpected: When I wrote my Paper 1 on the day of Mains, I was startled by the plethora of dynamic questions. But I still answered them to the best of my knowledge. To me it was clear, 'If I answer it, I might not be selected, but if I don't, I'd surely not make it.'
Choosing the optional:
    While choosing the right optional for yourself, you need to keep the following aspects in mind:
  • Your educational background and familiarity with the subject
  • Your timeline and length of the syllabus of the subject
  • Availability of quality study material
  • Your personal interest and calling
    As Sandeep Bhaiya in TVF's Aspirants said, "Your optional is like your girlfriend. How would you stay happy if you don't like her?"
It doesn't matter if your optional is technical or humanities subject. If you like the subject, make an informed decision on the pros and cons. If you still feel you can read it and stay fascinated by the course, Go For It!





Comments

  1. Mam how did you manage your GS preparation and optional from Oct to December

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried devoting 4 hrs everyday to my optional and study GS for 4 hrs daily. The remaining time went into revision and newspaper reading.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How much time you took from starting from scratch to completion of syllabus

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For the optional, it took me about 6 months for completion of the subject and test series.

      Delete
    2. For the optional, it took me about 6 months for completion of the subject and test series.

      Delete
  4. Hello ma'am me job ke sath study bhi kar raha hu par apni study se satisfied nahi ho pata hu din me keval 3 se 4 ghante hi study kar pata hu please ma'am guide me

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello mam, Could you please guide with the sequence or the book to start with for a beginner?

    ReplyDelete
  6. UPSC CSE Coaching
    Students who want to pursue UPSC preparation can enroll at UPSC Coaching In Indore Sharma Academy, one of the best UPSC coaching institutes in Indore.
    UPSC Coaching In Indore

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ma'am is Braintree material enough for the anthropology.I mean can I refer Braintree material as base material or should i buy sosin ma'am notes please help me

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mam, Have you taken the coaching from SOSIN MAM institute and what are the website you used for knowing the recent developments and works regarding optional?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Informative post for us, thanks for sharing this blog with us.
    Ignite IAS Best IAS Academy in Hyderabad
    offers top-notch training in civil services

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Information I got from your blog post is very useful to me regarding IAS Preparation. Thank you for sharing this blog post.
    UPSC Preparation

    ReplyDelete
  11. Buying YouTube subscribers in rupees offers a seamless and strategic edge for Indian content creators aiming to broaden their visibility and influence on the platform. Through this straightforward investment, using local currency for convenience and accessibility, channels experience an instantaneous uptick in subscribers. This not only enhances the channel's appeal but significantly amplifies its reach within the YouTube ecosystem. The increased subscriber count bolsters social proof, making the channel more attractive to potential organic followers and establishing a solid foundation for community building. It is a forward-thinking strategy, enabling creators to swiftly meet YouTube's monetization criteria and excel in the competitive digital arena. This approach reflects a commitment to growth and success, facilitating a vibrant engagement between creators and viewers. Investing in subscribers this way is a tailored, impactful step towards achieving long-term visibility and success on YouTube.
    https://www.buyyoutubesubscribers.in/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lasik surgery in Delhi stands as a beacon of excellence in the realm of vision correction, offering a transformative experience to those seeking liberation from glasses and contacts. The city's medical infrastructure is fortified with advanced laser technology and state-of-the-art facilities, ensuring each procedure is performed with utmost precision and care. Renowned globally, Delhi's surgeons bring unparalleled expertise to the table, tailoring each treatment to meet the unique needs of patients. The process is streamlined and minimally invasive, promoting a swift recovery and minimal disruption to everyday life. High success rates and glowing testimonials reflect the city's commitment to quality and patient satisfaction. Post-operative care is thorough and compassionate, ensuring a smooth transition to improved vision. Choosing Lasik in Delhi means stepping into a future where clear vision opens the door to a new quality of life, underscored by freedom and clarity.
    https://www.visualaidscentre.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nursing jobs in Singapore provide a unique opportunity for Indian nurses to engage in a highly developed healthcare setting renowned for its excellence and innovation. With a commitment to cutting-edge medical practices, nurses are exposed to advanced healthcare technologies and methods. The competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package make Singapore an attractive destination for those looking to further their nursing careers. Specializing in areas such as critical care, pediatrics, and geriatrics, nurses have the chance to develop a broad set of skills. Continuous professional development is a key focus, ensuring that nurses remain at the forefront of the medical field. The multicultural environment offers a welcoming community for Indian nurses, facilitating a smooth cultural transition. Singapore's emphasis on work-life balance and its safe, dynamic living conditions provide an ideal backdrop for personal and professional growth. This opportunity represents more than a job; it's a pathway to becoming part of a global healthcare leader.
    https://dynamichealthstaff.com/nursing-jobs-in-singapore-for-indian-nurses

    ReplyDelete
  14. In the heart of Ahmedabad, a distinguished Breast Cancer Surgeon is revolutionizing the approach to breast cancer treatment through their exceptional surgical skills and profound compassion. Renowned for their pioneering use of minimally invasive surgical techniques, this surgeon significantly enhances patient recovery times while minimizing the physical impact of surgery. Their dedication to advancing surgical methods is matched by an unwavering commitment to patient-centered care, ensuring that each individual receives a tailored treatment plan that addresses both medical and emotional needs. Beyond the operating room, this surgeon is a fervent advocate for breast cancer awareness, actively participating in community education programs to promote early detection. Their expertise and heartening approach not only restore health but also instill a sense of hope among their patients, making this Breast Cancer Surgeon a beacon of medical excellence and humanistic care in Ahmedabad.
    https://drvirajlavingia.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. In Mumbai, a city renowned for its dynamic healthcare landscape, a Breast Cancer Surgeon of exceptional acclaim emerges as a pivotal figure in the realm of cancer treatment. With an astute mastery of the most advanced surgical techniques, this surgeon is celebrated for their adept skill in minimizing recovery times while maximizing surgical outcomes. Their approach, deeply rooted in empathy and understanding, is tailored to meet the individual needs of each patient, ensuring a treatment path that is as compassionate as it is clinical. Beyond the operating room, they are a fervent advocate for breast health, dedicating their time to educate the community on the importance of early detection and preventive care. This surgeon's blend of technical proficiency, patient-centered care, and community activism positions them as a leading light in Mumbai's ongoing battle against breast cancer, offering hope and healing to many.
    https://drnitanair.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. In the bustling city of Gurgaon, a visionary Breast Cancer Surgeon stands as a beacon of innovation and compassionate care in the fight against breast cancer. Armed with a deep knowledge of the latest oncoplastic surgery techniques, this surgeon skillfully balances the objectives of cancer eradication with the preservation of aesthetics and patient dignity. Each surgical procedure is conducted with an artful precision, aiming to leave the smallest impact on the patient's body while ensuring the highest efficacy in tumor removal. This surgeon's approach transcends the technical aspects of care, placing a strong emphasis on the emotional and psychological support vital to a patient's recovery. Renowned for their patient-centric philosophy, they personalize every treatment plan, integrating the most advanced research with a holistic view of healing. Their commitment extends beyond the confines of the operating room, as they are a fervent advocate for breast cancer awareness and the importance of early detection. In Gurgaon, this surgeon is not only a leader in their field but also a true ally to those facing the daunting journey of breast cancer.
    https://www.breastoncosurgery.com/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The task of being happy

Stories from DPT- The line of judgement